The ball mill launching is one of the most complex technical processes in material grinding. The need for the method of the ball mill launching arises in two cases:
- «Start» of new production (expansion of existing plant);
- The ball mill launch after the preventive maintenance and/or emergency stop.
The correct way to launch a ball mill after the preventive maintenance and/or emergency stop was discussed earlier in our publication. We recall that this methodology was developed in cooperation with the Belgorod State Technological University of Mr. V.G. Shukhov. This method has proven its effectiveness in practice. A lot of our clients «have adopted it» and use it constantly.
We have faced with the task of launching a ball mill for new production recently. We will not disclose all information, just say that this enterprise is in Ukraine and it will declare itself on the building materials market in the near future.
At the end of 2019, the technologist of new production approached us in order to help him to complete the ball mills with the necessary of grinding balls assortment.
Based on the results of the completed questionnaire, we have proposed optimum grinding balls assortment, which will ensure maximum effective grinding at the earliest possible time.
Since no machine of the new ball mill have never been in operation, the question arose – how to launch the mill properly, without damaging the electro-mechanical mill assemblies and the grinding environment.
The method of launching the ball mill was developed after contacting the representatives of the mill manufacturer. The methodology consists of activities, which can be divided into several phases:
- The lainching and operation of the ball mill without grinding media and material. Period — 6-8 hours;
- The mill loading with grinding balls at a rate of 30 per cent of the filling standard. The lainching and operation of the ball mill in this mode with feed of the grinding material (30% performance). Period — 6-8 hours;
- The mill refilling by grinding balls to 50% of the filling standard. Starting and operation of the mill with 50% of its productivity. Period — 4-6 hours;
- The mill refilling by grinding balls to 75% of the filling standard. Starting and operation of the mill with 75% of its productivity. Period — 6-8 hours;
- The final step is the mill loading completely to the required standard and the mill operating with the maximum possible amount of power.
It is important to note that the staff of the client’s laboratory sampled the ball mill during all the above phases. All sampled samples were analysed in detail for key grinding parameters: sieve residue, Blaine specific surface, material density, and basic chemical element content. All laboratory tests have shown that the grinding quality fully meets the new plant’s technological requirements of the given production.
The result of this work was the decision to continue using steel grinding balls of Energosteel production as grinding media.